- Elite League: Fife Flyers v Manchester Storm
- NIHL North round-up: Stylish Sharks seal cup success
- NIHL South round-up: Chieftains surge nine points clear
- Elite League: Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils
- EPL round-up: Lightning keep hunting down the Tigers
- Elite League: Belfast Giants v Nottingham Panthers
- Elite League round-up: It’s getting tight at the top
- SNL round-up: Tigers edge cup thriller against the Kestrels
Stewart believes Blaze can beat anyone
- Updated: 10th January 2017
Coventry Blaze Head Coach Danny Stewart praised his players after they secured weekend victories over Cardiff Devils and Nottingham Panthers.
Blaze won 4-3 after overtime at Cardiff on Saturday and followed up with a 3-2 shoot-out victory at home to Nottingham on Sunday to leave Stewart in a bouyant mood.
“When we play our game and limit our mistakes we can beat anybody,” said Stewart.
“It was great to see from these guys. Our performances have been good – the difference is believing that we could win and close games out.
“We played a great first period (at Cardiff) and put ourselves in a good position. Obviously we got caught up in some penalty trouble in the second and credit to Cardiff as they put some pressure on us to create that.
“In the third we bent a little bit, but found a way not to break. Again, some penalties put us under pressure but we had some great kills that got us some momentum back and it was a great finish in overtime.
“Just a couple of weeks ago we would probably have let that slip away, but we found a way
“Against Nottingham we steadied the ship when they tied the game and anything can happen in the shoot-out, but two great finishes and goaltending by Stewy (Brian Stewart) won us the game.”
(Image permission: Richard Murray)