- Turley praises Pirates’ support team
- Twitter Talk: Fans unimpressed with new EIHL Conferences
- EIHL announce new conference structure
- O’Connor signs new Steelers deal
- BLOG: EPL v NIHL or fruitcake v chocolate fudge cake
- GB defender agrees new Steelers deal
- Stars call on EIHA to provide “leadership and direction”
- BLOG: To whom it may concern
Steelers’ stopper returns for another year
- Updated: 18th April 2017
Sheffield Steelers’ netminder Ervins Mustukovs has signed a new one-year contract with the club.
Mustukovs back-stopped the Steelers to the 2016/17 Elite League play-off title and led the goalie standings during the regular season with a 91.3 save percentage.
Head Coach Paul Thompson said: “He is a top goalie and he is a winner. When we signed him we asked him to give us a chance to win every night and he did just that.
“He is focused, determined and a no-nonsense goalie. He stops pucks – more of them than anyone else.
“Moose is popular in the room, the players have great respect for him. He has an edge as well – he goes about his business quietly, but if he isn’t happy he lets you know
“Look at the play-off run, that night against Nottingham, the shut-out against Belfast and the big stops against Cardiff – incredible, but in saying that, just what I expected because that’s what he does.
“It’s the key position on any team and for us to have that sorted this early is crucial. Moose played a lot of hockey, so I hope he goes home and rests up because he has a lot more ahead of him next year as well.
“Moose is a massive part of our club, we all love having him around and you only have to listen to the fans when he makes a save to know what they think of him.”
(Image permission: Dean Woolley)