- Elite League: Sheffield Steelers v Braehead Clan
- Elite League: Belfast Giants v Nottingham Panthers
- EPL: Peterborough Phantoms v Telford Tigers
- RESULTS: Sunday 22nd January
- RESULTS: Saturday 21st January
- Scholes blasts EPL owners’ “lack of vision”
- BLOG: Attack of the barrack room lawyers
- BLOG: It’s like the Wild West
Early leads the key to Flames’ success
- Updated: 20th December 2016
Guildford Flames’ boss Paul Dixon says his team’s quick starts to their EPL games over the weekend were the key to their two victories.
After roaring into four goal leads against Peterborough Phantoms and Sheffield Steeldogs, the Flames saw out both matches to record 4-2 and 5-2 successes.
The Flanes have now won seven of their last nine outings to leave Dixon in buoyant mood ahead of the Christmas fixtures.
“We’ve been on both sides of the equation this season, and whichever side you end up on you always verify that taking a good size early lead makes the game a lot easier for the leader and a lot harder for the trailer,” said Dixon.
“I thought we played well for most of the evening on Saturday, but getting those goals on our early chances put Peterborough in a tough spot, and that really was the difference in the game right there.
“Although it took a little longer, it was a similar turn of events on Sunday where we were able to grab a lead again which allowed us to dictate the game a bit more, and forced Sheffield to take more risk while trying to bring it back.
“It was a great weekend and a good way to finish the pre-Christmas portion of the schedule.”
(Image permission: John Uwins)