Devils hold on for 4-3 win over Flyers in Fife

Despite trailing 2-0 early in the game, the Devils battled back to eventually win 4-3 over the Fife Flyers on Saturday Night.

It didn’t take long for the home side to take the lead with Flyers forward Peter Leblanc scoring just 58 seconds into the game.  The Flyers doubled their lead at 10:38 when Evan Bloodoff finished off a pass from Russ Moyer.  A minute later, the Devils were on the board when Layne Ulmer fired the puck past Andy Iles to make it 2-1 with Jake Morissette getting the lone assist at 11:40.  Another minute had barely ticked away when Joey Martin tied the game for the Devils with Gleason Fournier providing the setup, making it 2-2 at 12:43.  The first period ended with the score still tied 2-2 and Ben Bowns turning away 8 of the 10 shots he faced.

The second period saw the Devils outshoot the Flyers 13 to 4 and control the majority of the play.  The lone goal came at 24:21 from Gleason Fournier and put the Devils up 3-2 with an assist going to Sean Bentivoglio.  The Devils had a single powerplay chance but failed to convert with the man advantage.

The third period saw the Devils continue to pile on the pressure and eventually it paid off with an unassisted goal from Andrew Lord at 50:58 to give Cardiff a 4-2 lead.  The Flyers had two powerplay chances in the final period but some excellent goaltending from Ben Bowns led the Devils penalty kill and kept the Flyers at bay.  With their netminder pulled for an extra attacker, Denis Gauthier pulled a goal back for Fife to make it 4-3 with 55 seconds left to play. The Flyers kept their netminder on the bench and nearly scored twice in the final minute, but the Devils held on for the win and a vital 2 league points.

Man of the match for the Devils was Gleason Fournier who had a goal and an assist on the night.

The Devils are at home on Sunday Night (Tonight) against the Belfast Giants.

Photo: Jillian McFarlane

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.