Hockey is among the best sports. It has everything- aggression, grace, speed and sometimes, ice.
What follows is a collection of hockey quotes from legends of the sport, coaches, and players.
They can be a source of motivation for all spheres of your life and they come with just the right dose of humor.
- “Hockey is a man’s game. The team with the most real men wins”
- “Hockey is a unique sport in the sense that you need each and every guy helping each other and pulling in the same direction to be successful.”
- “I don’t like my hockey sticks touching other sticks, and I don’t like them crossing one another, and I kind of have them hidden in the corner. I put baby powder on the ends. I think it’s essentially a matter of taking care of what takes care of you.”
- “Sometimes you do the hard work and set the table and somebody else eats the meal.”
Brian Burke (When the Maple Leafs made the NHL Playoffs in 2013 after he was fired as coach).
- “A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.”
- “You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave – win or lose”
- “Hockey captures the essence of Canadian experience in the New World. In a land so inescapably and inhospitably cold, hockey is the chance of life, and an affirmation that despite the deathly chill of winter we are alive.”
- “Some may have more talent, but there is no excuse for anyone working harder than you”
- “When you pull on that jersey, the name on the front is a hell of a lot more important than the one in the back”
- “It’s going to be great. I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take it all away from them”
- “All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”
- “I wasn’t naturally gifted in terms of size and speed; everything I did in hockey I worked for, and that’s the way I’ll be as a coach.”
- “The first year I started hockey, I didn’t know how to skate, so I got on the ice with all of the hockey players, and we were doing drills where we had to go backward in figure eights. And I could not skate, and I just kept falling on my butt, and it was very embarrassing.”
Funny and Inspiring Quotes
There is no denying that ice hockey is one of the toughest sports on the planet. However, in between the blood and the sweat, there are light moments. A good laugh could be all the motivation you need to get back on the ice or see your team through the bad times. Here are a few funny quotes that will lighten your day.
- “You don’t have to be crazy to be goalie, but it helps”
Bernard Bernie Parent
- “I mean, I went to a Catholic boys’ school for a year, but that was to play hockey. Religion class was quite contentious for me.”
- “We can make fun of hockey fans, but someone who enjoys Homer is indulging in the same kind of vicarious bloodlust.”
- “Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept.”
- “A puck is a hard rubber disc that hockey players strike when they can’t hit one another.”
- “Four out of five dentists surveyed recommended playing hockey.”
- “When hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too.”
- “Every day you guys look worse and worse. And today you played like tomorrow.”
John Mariucci, to his U.S. Hockey team that won Silver at the Cortina Olympic games in 1956
There Are More!
These were specifically curated with hockey fans in mind. If you are looking for quotes on other sports, more motivational sports quotes can be found here. Hopefully, this collection of hockey quotes inspired you.