SNL round-up (w/e 25th October)

A great recovery from Dundee Tigers saw them book a place in the Scottish Cup second round after they edged a tight contest at home to Solway Sharks SNL.

Michael Corbett put the visitors in front, but Scott Marr levelled for Tigers before two from Bob Chalmers and a strike by Scott Henderson had Jamie Kerr’s young side 4-1 up.

Tigers’ comeback began through Daniel Topping followed by Grant Reekie and Robbie Barnett each finding the net to tie the game at four apiece.

Kris Phillips then out the home side in front by the end of the second, before Topping opened up a two-goal advantage. Sharks pulled one back through Gordon Horne to set up a nervy final few minutes, but Tigers held off to seal a 6-5 victory.

Two of the leagues teams without poinnts went head-to-head at Auchenharvie and it was North Ayrshire Wild who broke their duck at the expense of Moray Typhoons after 6-1 success.

John Paul Jack put the Typhoons in front on 14 minutes, but the home side came out all guns blazing in the second with Michael Dobson equalising in the opening minute.

Kodi Yates put Wild in front before Michael McAlister struck on the powerplay and North Ayrshire’s lead started to become unassailable. Daniel Abercrombie made it 4-1 before Dobson notched his second of the game with around 10 minutes to go, with Abercrombie following suit to complete the scoring, making it a 2+3 night for him.

Dundee Comets moved into third in the SNL table following a 4-2 victory at Kilmarnock Storm, who are still without a point or win.

Gordon Nelson was first to find the net for the visitors as the Comets took the lead in the third minute. Storm hit back early in the second period as Ryan Parkin equalised but Dundee soon took control, firing in three before the second break to kill the game off.

Kris Inglis restored the lead with Ross Johnston and Lewis Gold making sure, as Comets put daylight between themselves and the hosts. Fraser Turner’s goal early in the third proved to be nothing more than a consolation as Dundee returned to Tayside with the points.

Mark Paterson wasn’t the only Edinburgh Capitals player to hit four goals this weekend, as the league leaders did just enough to beat the Comets 5-4 at Murrayfield.

Hot on the heels of Elite League player Ryan Hayes’ four against Cardiff Devils the night before, Paterson’s strikes proved vital in what was a hard fought contest.

He had two inside the first ten minutes, before Jamie Whitelaw pulled one back short-handed for the Comets by the end of the first period.

Lewis McIntosh levelled the game briefly, but Paterson’s next two goals opened up a 4-2 lead for the home side by the end of the second session.

Sean Donaldson added a fifth before one each from Whitelaw and John Gordon brought the Comets to within one, but the Caps held out in the end to claim the points.

Graham McCamley’s empty net goal with five seconds to play secured a massive two points for Paisley Pirates as they continued their unbeaten start to the SNL campaign against Kirkcaldy Kestrels.

Stuart Miller (2) and one from Chris Wilson put Pirates 3-0 up, but the Fife side hit back with a powerplay brace by Conor Duncan before Daryl Venters tied the game at three apiece to set up a fascinating final session.

Wilson’s second restored a lead, followed by Miller completing his hat-trick, only for Graeme Allan to bring Kestrels to within one.

McCamley finished his empty net chance to seal two home points, handing the Kestrels their second league defeat of the season.

(Image permission: Derek Black)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.