Spring Cup Recap: Maximum points for Steeldogs and Tigers

Telford Tigers made it four out of four in the Spring Cup against Bees (PHOTO: Steve Brodie)



Tigers made it three wins on three on Saturday’s early game to take them to the top of the Spring Cup standings as they took care of the Bees.

Tom Watkins’ side took the lead in the first period as Cole Shudra fired from a tight angle to beat Adam Goss in the Bees’ goal.

Harvey Stead equalised shorthanded for Doug Sheppard’s team during the second to set up an all-important final period, in which Tigers passed the test with flying colours.

Two goals in the space of two minutes gave Telford big momentum as Rick Plant and Scott McKenzie each found the net.

The gap grew as Jason Silverthorn and Sam Jones scored goals four and five to complete a good afternoon’s work for last season’s National League champions.

It was all smiles as Sheffield Steeldogs returned to action and added four more points to their Spring Cup tally (PHOTO: Sheffield Steeldogs)


It was seven goals for seven scorers as Sheffield Steeldogs returned to Spring Cup action with a 7-3 success over Raiders at Ice Sheffield.

Greg Wood’s team were back after having last weekend off and after a goalless first period, soon burst into life with goals galore.

Ben Lake’s opening goal was cancelled out Erik Piatak before Jason Hewitt restored the lead for the home side, which was added to by Jonathan Phillips and Nathan Salem before the second break.

Steeldogs went 5-1 up in the third through Charlie Thompson, but Raiders were galvanised with two quick goals coming from Callum Burnett and Aaron Connolly.

Alex Graham hit back to kill of the visitors’ hopes of a comeback and the night was rounded off with a finish from Liam Kirk late on to seal a third win out of three for the Steeldogs.

Another game another win as Tigers kept up their winning start (PHOTO: Steve Brodie)



Austin Mitchell-King’s second period goal proved to make the difference in Slough as Telford edged past Bees in a 2-1 win to maintain their 100% record so far.

Although Tigers massively outshot their opponents, they showed enough to claim the two points and keep them neck and neck with Sheffield Steeldogs in the Spring Cup race.

Scott McKenzie opened the scoring on a four-on-four chance, but this was cancelled out by Vanya Antonov’s effort from the right that flashed past Jordan Hedley.

Up popped Mitchell-King to get the vital goal, coming from a Jack Watkins assist with a couple of minutes left of the middle period to give them the lead again.

Bees couldn’t find a way through as they tried to restore parity, but it wasn’t to be, leaving them pointless for their efforts over the weekend.

Ethan James impressed in the Raiders net, but Steeldogs came out on top again (PHOTO: John Scott)


Ethan James impressed in the Raiders net, but the Romford side had no reply to Sheffield Steeldogs, who racked up another seven goals, this time a 7-2 win on the road.

Brady Doxey put the Steeldogs ahead in the opening five minutes, which was added to by Jonathan Phillips for the first of five points for him on the night as Sheffield were two up after 20.

Liam Kirk made it three in the opening minute of the second and when Ben O’Connor netted a minute later, you knew it wasn’t going to be Raiders’ day.

Callum Wells pulled one back for the home side, only for Kirk to score after the restart and reinstate the four-goal gap.

Phillips’ second goal increased the lead further and while Tommy Huggett was successful with another consolation, Jason Hewitt on the powerplay secured another one-sided win for Greg Wood’s side.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.