Here at British Ice Hockey, we want to get to know the players playing in our leagues so we’ve reached out to a few and set 12 questions (2+10, see?) to find out more about them.
Our first willing participant this week is Manchester Storm goalie Matt Ginn, who was kind enough to take the time to complete our fun questions and gave us an insight into him and his interests.
Look out for next one next Friday as one of the Elite League coaches takes part.
Here we go:
1) If you were the coach and money was no object, which player would you bring in and why?
It’s a toss up between Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid. Crosby has won everything and been the best for so long, but McDavid is a bit younger and it’s scary to think he’s just entering his prime. So I’ll go with McDavid.
2) Which sporting event, other than Game Seven of a Stanley Cup Final and anywhere in the world, would you most like to see?
I’m going to go with a sport that’s not as popular over here with baseball. So Game 7 of the World Series, but only if my Toronto Blue Jays are playing in it.
3) Which sport, other than ice hockey, do you enjoy on TV?
I like to watch baseball and golf mostly on tv…especially with Tiger being back!
4) If you were stuck on a desert island and you had one DVD or Boxset you could watch, what would it be?
This is an easy one, the box set of The Office (the US version)
5) If there was fire at your home and all your family and pets were safe, what one item would you rush back in to save?
This is tough. Since it’s hockey season maybe I’ll go with my goalie equipment, though it’s always fun designing new gear…
6) If you hosted a chat show, which three guests would be at the top of your list?
If I hosted a chat show I would want the three guests to be Tiger Woods, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Ryan Whitney (big fan of the Spittin’ Chiclets podcast). I think there would be more than a few stories thrown around between those three.
7) Who would play you in a movie of your life and who would be your leading lady?
I’ll go with Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively.
8) If you had to choose another job, what would you like to do?
I would like to stay involved in the game and take up coaching. Something not hockey related I’d say a firefighter.
9) If you were to become a sports journalist, how would you change the coverage of ice hockey in the UK press?
Since I got over to the UK I’ve been really impressed with the coverage in the media, and the fan support throughout the league. I didn’t really know what to expect because the game of hockey is still growing over here, but I think things are moving in the right direction and the media coverage is on the right track.
10) What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
The craziest thing I’ve ever done eh? Uhh that’s a tough one, well some people say playing goalie is crazy so I’ll go with that.
11) Tell us something about you nobody knows
I was born in a small town called Rainy River and was the New Year’s Baby (my birthday is February 17th)…
12) What will you do after you’ve finished this interview?
After I’m done this interview I’m going to finish drinking my coffee and do the daily USA Today crossword.